LCD skin availability?

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
kwiley

LCD skin availability?

Post by kwiley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm

The LCD skin is not in stock anywhere. Is it a discontinued product? Is the entire PyBoard essentially discontinued in anticipation of the next gen PyBoard that is supposed to come out in the (near?) future?

Has anyone successfully interfaced some other LCD (with or without a touch interface) with the PyBoard, or is the one listed skin -- currently out of stock -- the only option?

Thanks.

Roberthh

Re: LCD skin availability?

Post by Roberthh » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 am

Look at the repositories of @pythconcoder (e.g. here_ viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5299#p30417) or @mcauser or @dhylands or @deshipu. They have made drivers for many LCD displays.
Or search though this section of the forum: viewforum.php?f=14

kwiley

Post by kwiley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:39 am

Thank you. Do you know whether the one supported LCD skin is slated for any future reproduction? Like I said, I can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:44 am

No. Damien should know.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:12 am

There is a new design in the works (I have a sample). In my testing it is completely compatible with the old one but adds some new features.

I got the impression from the guys writing its firmware that it's slated for sale when the Pyboard 'D' series emerges. I don't know the reason for this delay since it works perfectly with the Pyboard 1.x. Nor do I know when the 'D' series is coming.

Sorry :(
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

tine3700

Post by tine3700 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:56 am

Hi there,
sorry for the delay on getting the new LCD160CRv1.1 in the store. There will be two versions available and they'll be available shortly.

kwiley

Post by kwiley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Thank you. Now if only I could get a camera going. I missed the recent Kickstarter campaign for the H7 and I'm not tempted to buy an M7 if the H7 is about to come out, so I'm left kind of stuck on camera options. I'm of half a mind to try to access one of the numerously available I2C Arduino cameras directly (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-OV7670-CMO ... 1928995887), but I don't generally dabble in such low-level protocols. I wouldn't really know how to begin. I have an Arducam LCD/camera shield working with an Arduino. I with I could use something like that with a PyBoard.

This is another topic, I admit.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm

There is OpenMV which runs MicroPython and has a camera: https://openmv.io/

kwiley

Post by kwiley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I know. I mentioned it in my previous comment. I'm just curious about the prospects of interfacing the two devices together.

Thanks.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:08 pm

kwiley wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 pm
Thank you. Now if only I could get a camera going. I missed the recent Kickstarter campaign for the H7 and I'm not tempted to buy an M7 if the H7 is about to come out, so I'm left kind of stuck on camera options. I'm of half a mind to try to access one of the numerously available I2C Arduino cameras directly (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-OV7670-CMO ... 1928995887), but I don't generally dabble in such low-level protocols. I wouldn't really know how to begin. I have an Arducam LCD/camera shield working with an Arduino. I with I could use something like that with a PyBoard.

This is another topic, I admit.
An I2C camera is only good fro low res still as the speed of data transfer from the camera to the MCU is super super low.

I have connected Screen directly to the OpenMV cam myself see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onzi71RsGXw&t=1s the python script for displaying the image buffer is in the comments