Crowdfunding of ESP32 port development

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
danielm

Crowdfunding of ESP32 port development

Post by danielm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 pm

What is your opinion on crowdfunding of ESP32 port development?

If several forum members would agree on which features should be developed and would be willing to participate financially a developer could be hired for several weeks, preferably one of regular contributors to the repository.

Another option is to launch a Kickstarter campaign similar to ESP8266 campaign launched three years ago by Damien.

I am willing to participate with 500-1000 EUR.

ThomasChr

Re: Crowdfunding of ESP32 port development

Post by ThomasChr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:14 pm

I bet the Pyboard D will be the next big thing, so I don‘t know if investing in ESP32 will be such a good idea. But yes, I would spend some bucks if needed.

danielm

Post by danielm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:57 am

I am sure that Pyboard D will be superior to ESP32 boards in many aspects. On the other hand due to pricing and availability it will probably be suitable for special applications and not for mass market IoT products for which it would be an overkill, technically speaking. In my opinion ESP32-WROOM/ESP32-WROVER which you can get for 3-4 EUR is a great platform for general IoT use-cases.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Are you aware of the Loboris port?

I'm sure he would be willing to implement features. He already has a means of accepting financial contributions so I suggest you guys open a discussion with him, on his forum.

From what I've gleaned the Pyboard D will be streets ahead of the ESP32, not least because it's a baremetal implementation. But it's bound to cost more.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

danielm

Post by danielm » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 am

I am aware of the port and Loboris really did a great job. However I would prefer to put my money into mainline which is maintained and updated regularly and by multiple contributors.