PyBoard Cannot Factory Reset

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
nedla2004

PyBoard Cannot Factory Reset

Post by nedla2004 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm

My PyBoard looks like it is DFU mode, but does not appear when I connect it and does not show up with dfu-util. I did not try anything with this, just randomly the PyBoard had 3 LEDs on (which was definitely not from my program). How can I factory rest the board?

dhylands

Re: PyBoard Cannot Factory Reset

Post by dhylands » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Factory reset, is basically to put the board in DFU mode by connecting the DFU pin to 3.3v (the DFU pin and 3.3v pin are right next to each other) and powering on or resetting the device. Once in DFU mode, you can do a mass erase of flash by doing something like:

Code: Select all

dfu-util -s :mass-erase:force -a 0 -d 0483:df11 -D path-to-some-dfu-file.dfu
Note that you need to provide a DFU file even though it won't be used for the mass erase step. Once erased, you can then flash micropython on it.

EDIT: I was mistaken - I tested this again today and with the latest dfu-util it does flash the provided image after the mass erase.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:26 am

@nedla2004 The Pyboard should not look as if it's in DFU mode after power cycling. I suggest powering down, disconnecting any attached hardware and wire links and removing the SD card. Then connect to your PC by USB. If it still looks as if it's in DFU mode, follow the instructions under Boot Modes here http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/p ... neral.html to do a filesystem reset. This will erase any files you have put in /flash.

Hopefully that will give you a REPL prompt and a board which will respond normally to a power cycle. If it doesn't, then an option is to try reloading firmware. If this fails the board may be damaged: hardware problems can cause a defective Pyboard to look as if it's in DFU mode.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:05 am

If the flash is empty (or programmed with some code which doesn't initailize the LED pins), then when the board powers on the LEDs look the same as if the board is in DFU mode, however it isn't in DFU mode.

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm

I think I may have the same problem. I had the board plugged into a bread board while I read about how to connect it to an LCD, when I heard a USB disconnect sound, and my boards red, amber, and blue LEDs turned on. Some of them aren't even fully on (see picture), which scares me.
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/25s3389.jpg[/IMG]
By the way, it's a Pyblite v1.0
I have tried the factory reset, when plugged into my computer, or when plugged into a charger as the manual suggests. It doesn't respond in the slightest. I tried connecting the pads to put it in DFU mode, still no response. It did work in the past couple days, I had the REPL going, testing some simple LED flashing code, I had all the drivers set up to do whatever I needed. I hope this is just some software glitch, and the hardware is not this fragile.
Some additional information, I had already hooked up the V+ and GND pins to my LCD backlight to test it, but then I disconnected it, that was as far as I got.
I really don't want to find that I just flushed $30 down the drain with no apparent cause.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 am

If there were no voltages above 5V or below 0V on your test setup I'd say it's highly unlikely you've blown it up. Pyboards are robust and, in my experience, highly reliable. However any hardware can fail.

I assume you disconnected the Pyboard from everything except USB while going through the factory reset procedure. If so perhaps you need to return it for a replacement.
Peter Hinch

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes, all I had connected was USB when I tried the factory reset.
I've seen another strange symptom over the past few days, every once in a while when I plug it in to my computer, it will behave normally for 2-5 seconds, I've even been quick enough to get the REPL going, and type a few lines before it disconnects itself.

Anyway, I suppose I'll contact the maker as you suggest.
Thank you!

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Did you try another USB cable and/or another USB port?

Navigator

Post by Navigator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Yes, I have tried different USB cables, and ports. And as I said, I tried connecting it to a USB charger. I also tried connecting a 5V power supply to it through the pins, to see if maybe there was a problem with the USB connector, and still got the same result.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:34 am

Navigator wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 pm
... Anyway, I suppose I'll contact the maker as you suggest.
Thank you!
Is this not an official Pyboard from George Robotics?
Peter Hinch