PyBoard with Wifi and Screen

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Foxhound

PyBoard with Wifi and Screen

Post by Foxhound » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 am

Hi All,

Pretty new to micro controllers so please excuse my unfamiliarity with them. To cut it short, I need to execute some python code that involves querying a local REST interface via WiFi and displaying a value on the screen. The PyBoard 1.1 looks perfect, along with the screen and accompanying housing and screen (both from Micro Python Store), and the Wifi Skin (http://www.tinyosshop.com/wifi-skin-for-pyboard) from TinySine.

My primary concern is whether or not I can use both skins (screen and wifi) at the same time, and if they would both fit in the housing. Any comments would be greatly appreciate.

If not viable, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Kind Regards,
Adam

devnull

Re: PyBoard with Wifi and Screen

Post by devnull » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 am

FYI, that wifi skin is really only the hardware using a ESP-8266 in AT Command mode and the driver provided is just a simple example of creating a connection, there is no socket implementation, so you will be starting from scratch.

I started to write a soft-socket using the ESP8266, but with so many easier & readily available options this is just not necessary.

You should probably look at a ESP32 device instead, i.e the M5 Stack which has a built in display, a nice box etc etc

https://sea.banggood.com/buy/m5-stack-esp32-kit.html

rhubarbdog

Post by rhubarbdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 am

The upcoming pyboard-D has built in wifi, it should be available later this week maybe next.
There should be a touch screen skin for it in the near but not too distant future

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 am

As I understand it there are two variants of the new touch screen. One is mechanically and software compatible with the old one. I haven't seen the other but I'd guess it's electrically similar with a physical form factor compatible with the Pyboard D. I did some development work for these, testing with the first variant, around December - January. So I'd be surprised if the second wasn't available as soon as the D is up for sale.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

cyberlab

Post by cyberlab » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:13 am

hello, probably depending on the size and hardware of your application you can use only the ESP8266, this link viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5587 is a product that manufactures, serves to send the designs via wifi to the embroidery machines and this in turn transfers them in parallel to the machine.