ESP WROOM 32 urequests POST to Google Forms

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
eGRan

ESP WROOM 32 urequests POST to Google Forms

Post by eGRan » Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Dear Community,

I am new to the forum and I am posting because I am pulling my hair out trying to get urequests to POST through Forms.

So far I have been able to create code that does POST to a Forms Sheet. Each time the code is run its generates a timestamp. However, no data posts with it. Additionally, the same code works on my computer using the requests library and does post data. The boot.py imports urequests and networks as well as connects to the local WiFi. The following is the main.py

[code]
url = 'https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/form_key/formResponse'
form_data = '{"entry.entry_id_1":"88","entry.entry_id_2"="99"}'#,draftResponse=[],pageHistory=0)
headers = {'Content-Type': 'application/json'}
r = urequests.post(url, data=form_data, headers=headers)
r.close()
[/code]

The above code submits a POST as it generates a Timestamp, but posts no data with it.
I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

eGRan

Re: ESP WROOM 32 urequests POST to Google Forms

Post by eGRan » Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 pm

Still messing around with the code. No success yet, however I did want to post what I am trying.

First, I went to confirm that my desktop Anaconda distribution running 3.7 was still posting data and to also get the logging data from the requests package. It still posts data and the logs are below:

Code: Select all

DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTPS connection (1): docs.google.com:443
send: b'POST /forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: docs.google.com\r\nUser-Agent: python-requests/2.21.0\r\nAccept-Encoding: gzip, deflate\r\nAccept: */*\r\nConnection: keep-alive\r\nContent-Length: 48\r\nContent-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\n'
send: b'entry.1401426727=12346&entry.773634273=Hello%3A1'
DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:https://docs.google.com:443 "POST /forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse HTTP/1.1" 200 None
reply: 'HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n'
header: Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
header: X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, nosnippet
header: Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, must-revalidate
header: Pragma: no-cache
header: Expires: Mon, 01 Jan 1990 00:00:00 GMT
header: Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 18:13:01 GMT
header: Content-Encoding: gzip
header: P3P: CP="This is not a P3P policy! See g.co/p3phelp for more info."
header: P3P: CP="This is not a P3P policy! See g.co/p3phelp for more info."
header: X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
header: X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
header: Server: GSE
header: Set-Cookie: NID=184=cookie_key_00;Domain=.google.com;Path=/;Expires=Sat, 30-Nov-2019 18:13:01 GMT;HttpOnly
header: Set-Cookie: NID=184=cookie_key_01;Domain=.google.com;Path=/;Expires=Sat, 30-Nov-2019 18:13:01 GMT;HttpOnly
header: Set-Cookie: NID=184=cookie_key_02;Domain=.google.com;Path=/;Expires=Sat, 30-Nov-2019 18:13:01 GMT;HttpOnly
header: Alt-Svc: quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="46,44,43,39"
header: Transfer-Encoding: chunked
The cookie_ids were replaced to shorten the post.

Next what I attempted to do was to use the usocket to send the POST directly:

url = 'https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse'
s = usocket.socket(usocket.AF_INET, usocket.SOCK_STREAM, 0)
s.connect(('216.58.192.174',443))#('docs.google.com',443)
s.send(b'POST /forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: docs.google.com\r\nUser-Agent: python-requests/2.21.0\r\nAccept-Encoding: gzip, deflate\r\nAccept: */*\r\nConnection: keep-alive\r\nContent-Length: 48\r\nContent-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\n')
s.send(b'entry.1401426727=123&entry.773634273=Hello')
s.close()
[\code]
This one fail completely and did not connect or generate a timestamp with the google forms record.

Lastly, I tried including the additional headers from the Desktop Python into the urequests module:
[code]
url = 'https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse'
form_data = {"entry.1401426727":"88","entry.773634273":"99"}#,draftResponse=[],pageHistory=0)
print(ujson.dumps(form_data))
headers = {'User-Agent': 'python-requests/2.21.0',
           'Accept-Encoding': 'gzip, deflate',
           'Accept': '*/*',
           'Connection': 'keep-alive'}#,Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\n')}
r = post(url, data=ujson.dumps(form_data), headers=headers)
r.close()
It posted a timestamp, but nothing else.

Is there anything else I should try? Is there a response handling schema required? Even more basic, is it even theoretically possible to POST data from micropython to gxxgle Forms?

Thanks again for your time.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm

Just to confirm, you're able to do this from "big" python on your PC? (That's what you were talking about Anaconda?)

I'm pretty sure from memory when you post json with urequests, there's json= kwarg you can use to send a dict directly (rather than using data=). (I don't think that's your problem, the result should be the same, but just FYI)

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am

eGRan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 pm

send: b'POST /forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYLScXqq-cCoxqnrYXJd4zNzjF0tmbRYJd3eNBt4B7z55y1g/formResponse HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: docs.google.com\r\nUser-Agent: python-requests/2.21.0\r\nAccept-Encoding: gzip, deflate\r\nAccept: */*\r\nConnection: keep-alive\r\nContent-Length: 48\r\nContent-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\n'
I just took a closer look at your post -- this isn't sending JSON, it's sending form data (i.e. x-www-form-urlencoded). i.e. it's the same as if you made a webpage using a <form method="POST"> HTML element. That would explain what you're seeing (just a timestamp but no field values).

eGRan

Post by eGRan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm that there is no difference between data and json submission that I have tried. I have tried at least all of the following combinations (one at a time) plus/minus headers:

form_data = {"entry.1401426727":"88","entry.773634273":"99"}#,draftResponse=[],pageHistory=0)
headers = {'User-Agent': 'python-requests/2.21.0',
           'Accept-Encoding': 'gzip, deflate',
           'Accept': '*/*',
           'Connection': 'keep-alive'}#,Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\n')}
#Combination 1
r = urequests.post(url, data=form_data)# , headers=headers)

#Combination 2
r = urequests.post(url, data=ujson.dumps(form_data)# , headers=headers)

#Combination 3
r = urequests.post(url, json=form_data)# , headers=headers)

#Combination 4
r = urequests.post(url, json=ujson.dumps(form_data)# , headers=headers)
r.close()
The response was from the BIG python.

Sorry if that wasn't super clear. It looks like there is a urlencode package for micropython, I could try wrapping the data/json kwargs before submitting them.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 pm

eGRan wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:09 pm
Sorry if that wasn't super clear. It looks like there is a urlencode package for micropython, I could try wrapping the data/json kwargs before submitting them.
Sounds like it's worth trying! Unless you have documentation that also suggests that it also works with JSON?

eGRan

Post by eGRan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Gave it a try. Still nothing.
One the up side, I uncommented the line in urequests.py that prints the response line-by-line. I was also able to get micropython output (by uncommenting that line) to look exactly like BIG python logging. So at least I am more confident that micro and BIG python are posting the data.

However, during that exploration, I noticed something from that may contribute:

header: Transfer-Encoding: chunked
It doesn't look like urequests.py handles chunked data or redirects well. I think I am going to have to move over to uaiohttpclient.py and modify the package to pass data and headers. Can anyone point me in a direction to get started? uAiohttpclient posting chunked data or awaiting a chunked response? Not gonna lie, I am not familiar with both HTTPS and asyncio. At least it will be a learning experience.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:28 pm

eGRan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm
It doesn't look like urequests.py handles chunked data or redirects well
No, but this shouldn't prevent you posting the data. (i.e. the chunked result is only on the server back to you). Stretching my memory a bit, but are you still setting connection:keep-alive which you mentioned earlier. If you turn that off (urequests doesn't handle it anyway), it's possible the server might stop setting transfer-encoding: chunked. (But I might be misremembering)
eGRan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm
I was also able to get micropython output (by uncommenting that line) to look exactly like BIG python logging.
So both the request and the response were identical? Did a row show up in the spreadsheet? (i.e. just an empty timestamp row)

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:40 pm

I just tested this out on my own Google form:

>>> import urequests
>>> h = {'Content-Type': 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' }
>>> form_url = 'https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/<doc id>/formResponse'
>>> form_data = 'entry.714340709=micropython'
>>> r = urequests.post(form_url, data=form_data, headers=h)
>>> r.status_code
It seems to work (I got "micropython" in the spreadsheet)

Might be worth having a closer look at your URL encoding? Can you share your code?

eGRan

Post by eGRan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:50 am

Jimmo, you are awesome! I was able to duplicate your success with just those simple changes! This will make the IoT logging projects I have been working on much more stream lined to deploy.