pyBoard messed up after firmware update

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
smhodge

pyBoard messed up after firmware update

Post by smhodge » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 am

I had a v1.9.1 pyBoard that was working just fine until I did a firmware update, to v1.10 (after reading it was released). I followed the procedure described on Sparkfun and the update ran to completion just fine. After removing the DFU jumper and plugging back in the USB cable, Windows gives a "USB device not recognized -- it malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it" message, and consequently there is no "PYFLASH" drive, no virtual COM port, no REPL ability, etc. The board appears to be working ok as I have a flashing green led on it, from some left over test program I think.

I then tried going back to v1.9.1 firmware -- again that update went just fine -- but I still have the same results when I plug the USB cable in.

In Device Manager under USB controllers there is a "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" with a yellow exclamation mark, but it does provide any "update driver" option. I think I need to install the driver file <pybcdc.inf>, which I have a copy of, but I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 to install it.

Updating the firmware was a giant step backwards. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Steve

dhylands

Re: pyBoard messed up after firmware update

Post by dhylands » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:57 am

Make sure you have the right firmware. There are PYB1.0, PYB1.1, and PYBLITEv1.0 If you flash the wrong firmware then your board won't boot up properly (mostly due to different crystal speeds).

smhodge

Re: pyBoard messed up after firmware update

Post by smhodge » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks! I had accidentally loaded v1.0 firmware, not 1.1. All is good now.