MIcropython to new board - JN5169

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
Marius

MIcropython to new board - JN5169

Post by Marius » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Hey people.
If you wanted Micropython to exist on this micro processor. How would you go about making it happend if you cannot do it yourself?
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/JN5169.pdf
Marius

jimmo

Re: MIcropython to new board - JN5169

Post by jimmo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:37 am

It'd be more work than some of the other ports because it's a different CPU architecture (i.e. not ARM), so there's more to be done in terms of low level support code. I don't know what the compiler is, so there might be some complexities there if it isn't GCC (both in terms of potential compiler bugs/features, and also toolchain-wrangling). Additionally there'd be some work in writing MicroPython bindings to all the 802.15.4 / ZigBee stuff, depending on how high-level you want the API to be. But for someone already familiar with developing for this chip, MicroPython itself is designed to make porting relatively easy.

I don't know how much ROM (and RAM) their RF stack takes up, but this MCU has 512kiB / 32kiB, so it's on the small side but probably achievable.

Btw, if you're developing a ZigBee application, have you looked a the Digi XBee 3.0 modules -- they already run MicroPython.

Depending on your application, budget, time, and power constraints etc, you might find it's a much better tradeoff to run MicroPython on a different MCU and talk to a simple software stack running on the JN5169 via UART or SPI.

If you want to describe your use case in more detail happy to discuss futher - I've done ZigBee stuff in the past.

Marius

Re: MIcropython to new board - JN5169

Post by Marius » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:05 am

jimmo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:37 am
If you want to describe your use case in more detail happy to discuss futher - I've done ZigBee stuff in the past.
Thanks for such a long great answer. Ill follow up on you on pm.