Issues mounting Pyboard D on mac

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
bnl111

Issues mounting Pyboard D on mac

Post by bnl111 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 am

Hi - Just received my pyboard and having issues getting it to mount on my Mac. the tutorial mentions it should just mount when connected but not seeing it. I Have a Mac with a USB-c to USB-B adapter to the pboard micro USB. Not seeing it mounted in /dev/tty.* . Any suggestions?

Roberthh

Re: Issues mounting Pyboard D on mac

Post by Roberthh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:57 am

On my (old) Mac, the device is called /dev/cu.usbmodem412. So look out for something like that.
The interface for PYBD is definitely not /dev/ttyUSBx, not even on the linux system. There is /dev/ttyACMx (x for 0, 1, 2, ...).
Devices with a 'standard' USB/UART bridge show up as /dev/cu.usbserialxxxx on MAC and /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux.
On Windows, the show up eventually as COMx.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:13 am

When you say "mounted", I would assume you're talking about as a filesystem? In which case it should just show up in Finder as "PYBFLASH" (or in /Volumes/PYBFLASH).

Separately, the UART (CDC ACM) endpoint should show up in /dev/cu.*

I don't know much about Mac, but do you have an equivalent of lsusb? I seem to remember that there's a thing you can get to from "About this Mac" that has a fairly comprehensive device manager / browser. Can you verify that the device is actually being detected at all on the mac.

Then for the filesystem, you can use Disk Utility (I think that's what it's called) to see if there's a volume showing up (perhaps it thinks there's a problem with the filesystem).

Otherwise, it might be worth trying to factory reset the pyboard -- hold down USR then press RST, then release USR when the LED is ... i forget which colour. Will check and get back to you.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:38 am

To factory reset, you need reset_mode = 3 (from the LED state, release when red=1, green=2, blue=3, white=4) (1 is safe mode, 3 is reset fileystem, 4 is dfu)