New OpenMV board

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
rcolistete

Re: New OpenMV board

Post by rcolistete » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:14 am

OpenMV M7 project is becoming more popular :
http://hackaday.com/2016/12/29/the-stor ... he-openmv/
and helping to increase the number of preorders (now 46%) :
https://openmv.io/products/openmv-cam-m7

New feature, QR code reading :
About the OpenMV M7 :
OpenMV Cam M7 News
We're currently prototyping the new M7 board still. We'll be getting our next batch of prototypes back in January and once we verify that all features work without any issues we'll start a small production run of 40 boards to test a new programming jig we're building for the M7 boards which can program 20 (a panel) at a time. Assuming that all goes well we'll then start the production of 1000 more boards.
As for the fund raising progress - We've done a lot of sales for the M4 boards and we have enough cash in our coffers to do the M7 production run. So, for everyone who's pre-ordered so far I can say that we should be able to build the next run of OpenMV Cams. However, this is basically going to drain every cent of our bank account to do so at this time. So, please share this QR Code video with friends and colleagues and let them know about the new OpenMV Cam M7 so we can raise more cash! More money in our coffers means lower prices on everything since we'll be able to manufacture more things like our shields in larger volumes.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

kamikaze

Post by kamikaze » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Got first part of mine )

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am

Let us know how you got on. Curiosity about OpenMV finally got the better of me and I seem to have ordered a couple...
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue May 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Initial impressions are mixed. The IDE is excellent with plenty of example programs ready to run: getting started is very straightforward.

Actual performance varies. Simple stuff like edge detection, motion detection and frame differencing work fine. But face and eye detection seem very hit and miss. Perhaps it doesn't like my ugly mug, but I am a reasonably typical - if long in the tooth - human. To work the lighting and background have to be just so, and it doesn't seem to cope if you turn your head more than a few degrees.

At the moment I'm finding the interface a little opaque outside of the IDE. I can connect with a terminal but not with rshell. From Python I can't see a filesystem despite having an SD card fitted:

Code: Select all

MicroPython v1.8-4376-g4de7fa54 on 2017-03-26; OPENMV3 with STM32F765
Type "help()" for more information.
>>> import os
>>> os.listdir('/')
[':']
>>> 
It's a little odd after using other MicroPython platforms.
Peter Hinch

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

IIRC, OpenMV still uses the old 0:/ 1:/ rather than /sd and /flash

and they only support having internal flash or sd and not both at the same time. There was some discussion along those lines in the openmv forum.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue May 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Ah, thanks for that. I'd forgotten that ancient bit of syntax.
Peter Hinch

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I suppose we will see more and more of such issues as the adoption of MicroPython grows, and it gets forked at different points for many devices.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 am

More than 3 thousand OpenMV M7 Cam sold, new batch of 2,500 in August :
OpenMV Cam M7 Cameras shipping finally!
APR 14, 2017 POSTED BY: KWABENA AGYEMAN
https://openmv.io/blogs/news/openmv-cam ... ng-finally
Great news today, we've queued 470 OpenMV Cam M7s to ship! A lot of folks should be receiving shipping notifications this week. We'll be shipping another batch of 300 OpenMV Cam M7s next week to finish up shipping to everyone. After which we'll finally have about 300 OpenMV Cam M7s in stock.
Sales have been good so far. So we've even gotten started on another run of 1000+ cameras to keep them in stock. Thanks to everyone for believing in the product!
Remember the post about UARM a while back? Well, they raised close to $1M for their product and we're supplying them with OpenMV Cams for their backers - 1200 in total which we've already started to produce in addition to the 1000+ above
Late May Status Update
MAY 23, 2017 POSTED BY: KWABENA AGYEMAN
https://openmv.io/blogs/news/late-may-status-update
The OpenMV Cam M7 is available for sale at SparkFun now! When the product went live last week over 200 OpenMV Cams were sold on their website. Not only that, but, folks cleaned out our store too.
You can still buy OpenMV Cam M7s from our distributors around the world but we're sold out of cameras (except for a small stock of cameras reserved for replacements).
Anyway, we're leveling up production to meet the demand. We've started manufacturing again to build 2500 OpenMV Cam M7s with MacroFab. We expect to have more cameras in stock by the start of August. Until then you can pre-order from our website.
SeedStudio selling MicroPython boards (Pyboard Lite, OpenMV M7 Cam, WiPy 2, LoPy, FiPy, PyTrack, PySense, etc) :
https://www.seeedstudio.com/s/micropython.html
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 am

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:10 am

OpenMV Cam H7 will have a SDRAM version until end of the 2019, see the new update :

OpenMV Cam H7 - UPDATE #25 - Kickstarter Shipping Done! - JULY 28, 2019

...SingTown has produced a version of the OpenMV Cam H7 with SDRAM. We are working on the driver bringup for this new board and once completed we will offer it for sale before the end of the year. The new SDRAM OpenMV Cam H7 will allow you to process images using any algorithm at the maximum camera resolution. In particular, for folks wanting to do barcode, qrcode, data matrix, and apriltag processing this new system will free you from resolution limits.
I bet 8MB of SDRAM. Currently OpenMV Cam H7 has 1 MB of onboard RAM (which is faster).