rshell Wireless port?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
MrR^2

rshell Wireless port?

Post by MrR^2 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello all, thank you to the entire team for developing MicroPython. I just recieved my TinyPico from the campagin :D. It is an incredible little board. I got rshell up and running played around with making the LED "breathe," added wifi, configured the web REPL, and am now ready to get started playing for reals. I am new to the esp32, but have a pyboard as well. These boards are amazing.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is a way to use rshell wirelessly with the esp32, and if so, how would I go about doing so? Would I have to add telnet support? I would love to be able to work in VScode exclusively if possible.

Thanks again. I am amazed with the capabilities of these little beasts.

~Mr. R^2

P.S. A shout out to the Tiny Pico team. The hardware is great, but the tutorials are amazing as well. If anyone needs help, check them out. https://youtu.be/5W3WvXAmDJc

dhylands

Re: rshell Wireless port?

Post by dhylands » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Currently, the only wireless connection supported by rshell is via telnet. This was created for the WiPy.

Christian Walther

Re: rshell Wireless port?

Post by Christian Walther » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 am

You would have to add WebREPL support. I’m not familiar with rshell internals, but I assume if it already supports two different transports, adding a third one shouldn’t be that hard. However, you may run into the problem that the current WebREPL protocol is not 8-bit clean, as I did here. If you have any good ideas about fixing that, that would be welcome. I have some, but have not gotten around to implementing them or starting a discussion about it.