Help deciphering WDT reset error

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
manseekingknowledge

Help deciphering WDT reset error

Post by manseekingknowledge » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am

My ESP randomly resets and produces errors similar to the one seen below. Sometimes it will run for hours with no issue, but sometimes it will reset 2 or 3 times within a minute. I have been messing with the heap allocation in main.c so I'm not sure if that has caused this. Regardless, I would still like to know how to decipher error messages like this.

Code: Select all

MicroPython v1.11-217-g1f19a099f-dirty on 2019-08-02; ESP module with ESP8266
Type "help()" for more information.
>>> 
ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,6)

wdt reset
load 0x40100000, len 30152, room 16 
tail 8
chksum 0x24
load 0x3ffe8000, len 1024, room 0 
tail 0
chksum 0x29
load 0x3ffe8400, len 824, room 8 
tail 0
chksum 0x23
csum 0x23
����8�n��>r���n�b
                �
                    �lrb��
                                �����l�<��n���l`�>r�8��l #
                                                                    �
                                                                    r����I8��� 1
                                                                                    �
                                                                                        r�����8�
                                                                                                    �� �
                                                                                                        �lrr��9l�Ğb��
        ��b��b�$bĒ��b|��ƌ�
                            ��

jimmo

Re: Help deciphering WDT reset error

Post by jimmo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:51 pm

See my reply to the other thread, but yes this could very well be caused by increasing the heap size too far.

manseekingknowledge

Re: Help deciphering WDT reset error

Post by manseekingknowledge » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 am

jimmo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:51 pm
See my reply to the other thread, but yes this could very well be caused by increasing the heap size too far.
I optimized my code and was able to reduce the heap size back to the stock value. I'm still seeing errors similar to this sometimes though. I'm trying to eliminate causes, but it is taking a long time since the issue is intermittent. I was using a USB hub to repl into the ESP, but now I'm connected directly to my PC. I now also have a desktop PSU (Rigol DP832) powering the unit in parallel with the USB to eliminate bad power as the cause. I feel like I'm just stabbing in the dark though since I can't decipher the error message. I've tried to correlate the addresses in the error to lines in the firmware.map file and a plain text version of the firmware.elf file, but I'm not seeing anything helpful.

Is there any info out there on how to interpret WDT error messages? Just knowing exactly what the terms "load", "len", "room", "tail", and "chksum" were referring to would be very helpful.