Old Firmware for Pyboard D

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
ptranter

Old Firmware for Pyboard D

Post by ptranter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi All,

I'm experiencing problems with ARP entries when using the SF6W board. It appears to have started when I updated the firmware recently.

I cannot find previous versions of the firmware (despite looking for the last hour). Can anyone help me with the location of previous firmware so that I can back-track?

Many thanks,

Phil

jimmo

Re: Old Firmware for Pyboard D

Post by jimmo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:45 pm

How far back do you need?

For SF6, I found one from 2019-08-06 in my downloads dir -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zJhpMe ... sp=sharing

Probably your best bet is to build from source though, especially if you want to have some way to track down when/why exactly it broke.

Can you describe the problem you're seeing and maybe I can try and repro it here.

ptranter

Post by ptranter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks Jimmo,

I updated to the current version, 20190903 (today!) and all the problems went away. I have no explanation as to why why this might have fixed it.

The problem was that it had an entry on the arp table that was marked 'incomplete' - I can't reproduce it because the problem has gone. This meant that it seemed to be able to communicate OUTSIDE the network, but not within it. It could not respond to pings from within the network - there were repeated 'who has' ARP requests - that was the clue.

The other sympton was that it seemed to take much longer than usual to connect

Anyway, its sorted now

As an aside, I thought it should be easy to find previous firmware versions, but I could not find any. That seems strange.

Thanks again

Phil

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 am

You can build any previous version by using Git to check out the relevant source.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

ptranter

Post by ptranter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks Peter,

I just need to figure out how to do that!
Its on my list . . .

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 am

In broad terms you need to clone the Micropython repo to your PC and follow the instructions in the README to create a firmware build. Once you are confident you can do this and load it to your board, you need to use git checkout to wind the source back to a previous point in time. You then need to do make clean before creating a new (old) firmware build. The git repo that you cloned includes a complete history so you don't need to fetch anything more from GitHub to wind the clock back.

I appreciate that there is a considerable learning curve in actually doing this, but that's the gist of what you need to do.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.