Mininal Port's Garbage Collection

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
ferran.campos

Mininal Port's Garbage Collection

Post by ferran.campos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi, I have some problems with minimal port's gc_collect function.

First of all, I have been developing some code for the Micropython's minimal port in order to execute it in a stm32. Some of this code needs to run the gc_collect() function to avoid garbage to accumulate and occupy all my heap, leaving my board without any heap left and ending it's execution.

When I execute my code in a stm32 everything works fine, the heap is not fully occupied and the board is able to work indefinitely without running out of heap. However, when I compile the LINUX version of the Minimal port and run it, the gc_collect() generates a 'core dumped' exception.

I deduce that this function needs to be implemented, as it seems that it has to be adapted to every port.

Any ideas on how could I implement it or, maybe, make this function work in stm32 and LINUX?

Thank you.

stijn

Re: Mininal Port's Garbage Collection

Post by stijn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 am

I assume you'll have to copy the implementation from gccollect.c of the respective ports, so there's not one suingle function which can be used both for x64 and arm builds.

pulkin

Post by pulkin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Does anything prevent you from looking into the stack trace and/or running gdb on it?

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:18 am

The gc collection function is very arch and port specific.

Take a look at ports/unix/gccollect.c for an idea of what's necessary on Linux.