MicroPython on Altera NIOS 2

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
usjcarkm

MicroPython on Altera NIOS 2

Post by usjcarkm » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello,

I am porting the code to work with a Altera NIOS 2 family processor.
If someone has already done this work let me know, so I can
learn what was needed.

To obtain a bare minimum code set to start porting, I have the following folders copied from the latest
micropython-lib-master.zip:
/lib
/minimal
/py
/stmhal

Does anyone have any pointers to get a minimal 'hello world' python script running ?
I am starting to remove files from the above folders to minimize functionality I won't need until later.
I can build up the code after. Again just want to prove the concept first.

Thanks for any help provided.

dhylands

Re: MicroPython on Altera NIOS 2

Post by dhylands » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:01 pm

I moved your question into the "Other Boards" section.

When I ported to teensy, I started by getting a REPL on a serial port. This is definitely the easiest way to go.

You don't need any of the peripheral support, or filesystem support.

stmhal/pybstdio.c calls out to mp_hal_stdout_tx_xxx

So you should make an mphal.c which is specific to your port.

Your main.c will then be quite small.

usjcarkm

Post by usjcarkm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks.

So far I'm having some makefile issues when porting the code to our Altera NIOS 2 environment.
We use cygwin (linux shell) in windows 7 and the in our makefile CROSS_COMPILE := nios2-elf- ).

I admit I'm not a pro at makefile internals, but I'm a little confused on how the
"minimal" makefile and/or associated mk files pull in the py/*.c files to build.
I see that this line may potentially make this connection.
include ../py/mkrules.mk
This line in that file appears to pull in the py/*.c files to build.
vpath %.c . $(TOP)$(BUILD)/%.o: %.c$ (call compile_c)

Is the above what allows the py/*.c files to build ? If not what does ?
Hopefully it is compatible with our environment. Otherwise, I'm sure an alternate method
of manually adding each file the makefile is possible.

Thanks

Here below is a portion of the linux/unix build output, where the py/*.c files are shown being built.

waters@ubuntu:~/Desktop/micropython-master/unix$ make
Use make V=1 or set BUILD_VERBOSE in your environment to increase build verbosity.
mkdir -p build/genhdr
GEN build/genhdr/qstrdefs.generated.h
Generating build/genhdr/mpversion.h
mkdir -p build/build
mkdir -p build/lib/mp-readline
mkdir -p build/py
mkdir -p build/py/../extmod
CC ../py/mpstate.c
CC ../py/nlrx86.S
CC ../py/nlrx64.S

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 pm

usjcarkm wrote:Thanks.

So far I'm having some makefile issues when porting the code to our Altera NIOS 2 environment.
We use cygwin (linux shell) in windows 7 and the in our makefile CROSS_COMPILE := nios2-elf- ).
What issues are you having?
I admit I'm not a pro at makefile internals, but I'm a little confused on how the
"minimal" makefile and/or associated mk files pull in the py/*.c files to build.
I see that this line may potentially make this connection.
include ../py/mkrules.mk
This line in that file appears to pull in the py/*.c files to build.
vpath %.c . $(TOP)$(BUILD)/%.o: %.c$ (call compile_c)
the py/py.mk defines a variable called PY_O which is the name of all of the objects whicch come from the source files in the py tree.
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... py.mk#L125

the stmhal/Makefile, then adds PY_O to the OBJ variable:
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... efile#L239

The all target is the first target (when you call make with no arguments) and it eventually has a dependency on firmware.elf:
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... efile#L277

which, in turn, depends on the objects listed in $(OBJ) which includes all of the $(PY_O).
Is the above what allows the py/*.c files to build ? If not what does ?
For any object files which don't have any explicit rules (there are a bunch listed at the end of py.mk)
then https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... mk#L45-L47 will be used to compile the files (as you surmised).

When compiling for the pyboard, BUILD will wind expanding to build-PYBV10 and a typical file from PY_O will look like: build-PYBV10/py/objmap.o, so the actual makerule will look like:

build-PYBV10/py/objmap.o: py/objmap.c

and the vapth specified for %.c causes the py/objmap.c to look from the top of the tree (the micropython directory, not the directory which make was invoked from, which would be inside the stmal directory)

If you're using gcc, then the -MD causes gcc to generate a dependency file, and the sed script massages it (see the references URL for a full background on what the sed script does).

If you have the cygwin version of sed installed, then you should be fine.
Hopefully it is compatible with our environment. Otherwise, I'm sure an alternate method
of manually adding each file the makefile is possible.
Micropython currently builds fine in cygwin as far as I'm aware.
Here below is a portion of the linux/unix build output, where the py/*.c files are shown being built.

waters@ubuntu:~/Desktop/micropython-master/unix$ make
Use make V=1 or set BUILD_VERBOSE in your environment to increase build verbosity.
mkdir -p build/genhdr
Generating build/genhdr/mpversion.h
mkdir -p build/build
mkdir -p build/lib/mp-readline
mkdir -p build/py
mkdir -p build/py/../extmod
CC ../py/mpstate.c
If you were to add V=1 to your make command line, then you would see the full commands being used to compile the code.

usjcarkm

Post by usjcarkm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:39 pm

I see. Thanks. The main issue was that I was attempting to compile using an existing makefile that creates a shared library in our environment.

I've instead switched to the basic framework the micropython source tree gives and build an elf for starters. In the end I will need to build a micropython library (i.e. micropython.a), so we can insulate the micropython from our own and ease the transition to micropython base code in the future.

I started out with the 'minimal' folder code base and changed the makefile to use the altera nios2-elf-gcc cross compiler.

So far all the obj's are built apart from the assembly source in the nlrx86.s and nlrx64.s files, which is ecpected as the chip is not intel based.
So removed these from the PY_O_BASENAME = list.

# usjcarkm removed from below list
# nlrx86.o \
# nlrx64.o \

# py object files
PY_O_BASENAME = \
mpstate.o \
nlrthumb.o \

-

I also get "undefined reference to `_nlr_jump'" in spots when linking, which may be because of incompatibility with the altera vs intel chipset.

Getting closer.

Here is the tail end of output:

-

nios2-elf-gcc -Wl,-Map=build/firmware.elf.map,--cref -o build/firmware.elf build/py/mpstate.o build/py/nlrthumb.o build/py/nlrxtensa.o build/py/nlrsetjmp.o build/py/malloc.o build/py/gc.o build/py/qstr.o build/
py/vstr.o build/py/mpprint.o build/py/unicode.o build/py/mpz.o build/py/lexer.o build/py/lexerstr.o build/py/lexerunix.o build/py/parse.o build/py/scope.o build/py/compile.o build/py/emitcommon.o buil
d/py/emitcpy.o build/py/emitbc.o build/py/asmx64.o build/py/emitnx64.o build/py/asmx86.o build/py/emitnx86.o build/py/asmthumb.o build/py/emitnthumb.o build/py/emitinlinethumb.o build/py/asmarm.o buil
d/py/emitnarm.o build/py/formatfloat.o build/py/parsenumbase.o build/py/parsenum.o build/py/emitglue.o build/py/runtime.o build/py/nativeglue.o build/py/stackctrl.o build/py/argcheck.o build/py/warnin
g.o build/py/map.o build/py/obj.o build/py/objarray.o build/py/objattrtuple.o build/py/objbool.o build/py/objboundmeth.o build/py/objcell.o build/py/objclosure.o build/py/objcomplex.o build/py/objdict
.o build/py/objenumerate.o build/py/objexcept.o build/py/objfilter.o build/py/objfloat.o build/py/objfun.o build/py/objgenerator.o build/py/objgetitemiter.o build/py/objint.o build/py/objint_longlong.
o build/py/objint_mpz.o build/py/objlist.o build/py/objmap.o build/py/objmodule.o build/py/objobject.o build/py/objproperty.o build/py/objnone.o build/py/objnamedtuple.o build/py/objrange.o build/py/o
bjreversed.o build/py/objset.o build/py/objsingleton.o build/py/objslice.o build/py/objstr.o build/py/objstrunicode.o build/py/objstringio.o build/py/objtuple.o build/py/objtype.o build/py/objzip.o bu
ild/py/opmethods.o build/py/sequence.o build/py/stream.o build/py/binary.o build/py/builtinimport.o build/py/builtinevex.o build/py/modarray.o build/py/modbuiltins.o build/py/modcollections.o build/py
/modgc.o build/py/modio.o build/py/modmath.o build/py/modcmath.o build/py/modmicropython.o build/py/modstruct.o build/py/modsys.o build/py/vm.o build/py/bc.o build/py/showbc.o build/py/repl.o build/py
/smallint.o build/py/frozenmod.o build/py/../extmod/moductypes.o build/py/../extmod/modujson.o build/py/../extmod/modure.o build/py/../extmod/moduzlib.o build/py/../extmod/moduheapq.o build/py/../extm
od/moduhashlib.o build/py/../extmod/modubinascii.o build/py/../extmod/modmachine.o build/main.o build/uart_core.o build/uart_extra.o build/stmhal/printf.o build/stmhal/pyexec.o build/lib/libc/string0.
o build/lib/mp-readline/readline.o
build/py/parse.o:parse.c:(.text+0x8b5): undefined reference to `_nlr_jump'
build/py/compile.o:compile.c:(.text+0x3e4a): undefined reference to `_nlr_jump'
build/py/parsenum.o:parsenum.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `_nlr_jump'

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 pm

You shouldn't have to remove nlrx86.o and nlrx64.o

There is a provision to use the C runtime libraries setjmp/longjmp by adding

Code: Select all

#define MICROPY_NLR_SETJMP 1
in your mpconfigport.h file.

This is what the MIPs port does. Currently there are 5 source files containing alternate implementations of nlr_setjmp_jump

nlrx86.o \
nlrx64.o \
nlrthumb.o \
nlrxtensa.o \
nlrsetjmp.o \

We normally leave all 5 in every build and the configuration flags cause the 4 versions we don't want to wind up building as empty objects and the one that we do want gets compiled/assembled.

usjcarkm

Post by usjcarkm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Great. Thanks.

This added param to mpconfigport.h fixed the issue:

undefined reference to `_nlr_jump'

#define MICROPY_NLR_SETJMP 1
However adding back in nlrx86.o and nlrx64.o here still generates the errors as shown below:

# py object files
PY_O_BASENAME = \
	mpstate.o \
	nlrx86.o \
	nlrx64.o \
-

$ make V=1
cat ../py/qstrdefs.h qstrdefsport.h | sed 's/^Q(.*)/"&"/' | gcc -E -I. -I.. -I../lib/mp-readline -I../stmhal -Ibuild -Wall -Werror -ansi -std=gnu99  -Os -DNDEBUG - | sed 's/^"\(Q(.*)\)"/\1/' > build/g
enhdr/qstrdefs.preprocessed.h
python ../py/makeqstrdata.py build/genhdr/qstrdefs.preprocessed.h > build/genhdr/qstrdefs.generated.h
python ../py/makeversionhdr.py build/genhdr/mpversion.h
mkdir -p build/
mkdir -p build/lib/libc/
mkdir -p build/lib/mp-readline/
mkdir -p build/py/
mkdir -p build/py/../extmod/
mkdir -p build/stmhal/
CC ../py/mpstate.c
gcc -I. -I.. -I../lib/mp-readline -I../stmhal -Ibuild -Wall -Werror -ansi -std=gnu99  -Os -DNDEBUG -c -MD -o build/py/mpstate.o ../py/mpstate.c
CC ../py/nlrx86.S
gcc -I. -I.. -I../lib/mp-readline -I../stmhal -Ibuild -Wall -Werror -ansi -std=gnu99  -Os -DNDEBUG -c -o build/py/nlrx86.o ../py/nlrx86.S
../py/nlrx86.S: Assembler messages:
../py/nlrx86.S:56: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:56: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
../py/nlrx86.S:73: Warning: .size pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:73: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
../py/nlrx86.S:85: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:85: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
../py/nlrx86.S:93: Warning: .size pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:93: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
../py/nlrx86.S:105: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:105: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
../py/nlrx86.S:130: Warning: .size pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef ignored.
../py/nlrx86.S:130: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `n'
make: *** [build/py/nlrx86.o] Error 1

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:18 pm

My guess is that the Altera Nios assembler is expecting different syntax for the .size and .type pseudo-ops.
I'm not an expert in this, but a similar problem had to be resolved in order to get the unix port to build correctly on OSX - the very old version of the GNU assembler that ships with OSX didn't recognize all of the pseudo-ops and how they were being used; the solution was to #ifdef those ops out for OSX / Darwin.

I will say that I'm interested in seeing how this progresses; MicroPython running on a soft-IP processor on an FPGA opens up some really cool possibilities!

-Bryan

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:09 pm

ok - Lets figure out what's defined for gcc. Could you provide the output of:

touch empty.c
nios2-elf-gcc -E -Wp,-dM empty.c
That will let us know what all of the builtin predefined macros are for the compiler and figure out the best way to tackle this problem.

usjcarkm

Post by usjcarkm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Sure, here is the output after executing "touch empty.c":

$ nios2-elf-gcc -E -Wp,-dM empty.c
#define __DBL_MIN_EXP__ (-1021)
#define __FLT_MIN__ 1.17549435e-38F
#define __CHAR_BIT__ 8
#define nios2_little_endian 1
#define __WCHAR_MAX__ 2147483647
#define __DBL_DENORM_MIN__ 4.9406564584124654e-324