Usage of this forum

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
fma

Usage of this forum

Post by fma » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am

Hi there,

I can see there are more than 40 users on this forum, so, what about starting to use it?

I guess Damien does not have much time to manage it, but he may delegate the administration to someone else?
Frédéric

torwag

Re: Usage of this forum

Post by torwag » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi, I just started to work a bit on the forum,
I guess it is ready to be used. However, we got a lot of spambots and it is hard to identify those.
But please start to use the forum

fma

Post by fma » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks for the work you are doing on the forum!

What about the Google Group? Is it supposed to be merged with this more-official forum? Don't think it is a good idea to scatter the (not yet very large) micropython community...
Frédéric

torwag

Post by torwag » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm

Right, the (active) community is still rather small and we should concentrate activities at a single point.
As soon as the boards are out and in usage, the forum activity should increase a lot.
Thus, the next weeks are a good test-run and we can establish ways and routines to be prepared for a larger user-base.

We try to convenience people to move from the mailing list over to the forum.
Easiest to be done, by providing a lot of activity and content ;)

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 pm

My big issue with forums is that I have to come them and poll for new messages, rather than just having them show up in m inbox.

Very few formums seems to have the capabiliy of sending emails for each post (they typically will send an email for each reply to a post, but not for new posts - I've never understood why not).

torwag

Post by torwag » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 pm

I agree and sit in the same boat usually. Just checking if we could provide an RSS feed.
Alternatively there should be the possibility to subscribe to certain topics, getting an notification email if new posts arrive.

fma

Post by fma » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

You can already subscribe to each forum (General, Micropython Development, Projects and Kickstarter/Logistics) and get notifications for all new threads and reply posts... See at the bottom of the forum pages.
Frédéric

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:43 pm

fma wrote:You can already subscribe to each forum (General, Micropython Development, Projects and Kickstarter/Logistics) and get notifications for all new threads and reply posts... See at the bottom of the forum pages.
Cool - thanks for pointing that out. It's a little deceptive because it shows a box wih a checkmark beside the link, but you aren't subscribed unless you click on the link.

fma

Post by fma » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

dhylands wrote:
fma wrote:It's a little deceptive because it shows a box wih a checkmark beside the link, but you aren't subscribed unless you click on the link.
Yes! It took me a while to undestand that I needed to click!
Frédéric

roy.emmerich

Post by roy.emmerich » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm

It is great to have one, central forum.

I do have one request about making posts and that is about the way they are approved. This afternoon I posted something and it was approved this evening. I then realised that my wording could have been better, made the minor change and then discovered that it has to be re-approved. I found this rather annoying and would appreciate it if the micro-management could be lightened up a tad.

Thanks
Roy