FTDI EVE touch display driver?

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
Gordon_Hardman

FTDI EVE touch display driver?

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:02 pm

I wonder if anyone is working on a driver for FTDI's EVE touch display chips? see: http://www.ftdichip.com/EVE.htm.

It looks like they might be a better solution for displays than some other options, due to the amount they offload from the processor.

I have obtained one of the 4.3" eval modules, and thought I would ask around before starting in on it....

Gordon_Hardman

Re: FTDI EVE touch display driver?

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 pm

I got this to work, but it was harder than I thought. If anyone is considering a touch display, they may want to look at the Nextion by Iteadstudio http://imall.itead.cc/. It is cheaper than the EVE module, although the EVE dev unit includes a nice bezel, so it may not be a big difference. But the interface is a simple serial (USART), with simple commands. Plus they have a very nice looking development setup. I just got a Nextion, when I get some free time I'll play with it and see how it stacks up.

To be fair, the display on the EVE dev board is very clear, and with the SPI you can update it at a phenomenal rate. The serial on the Nextion may make the update rate slower.

rdagger

Post by rdagger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Do you have any MicroPython code you could share for the FT80x displays?
Would you please explain why it was difficult to interface.

loboris

Post by loboris » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 am

There is a fully working eve module in my ESP32 MicroPython port, unfortunately I've never had a time to fully document it, but it supports all eve features and works very well (I'm using it for years...).
It depends on some other modules, but it could be a start point if you want to port it to your platform...
eve library, Python bindings