Building libs for MCUs

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
mooreaa

Building libs for MCUs

Post by mooreaa » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 am

Hi all,

I've got what is probably a newbie question on how to build/install libraries for micropython when the target is a MCU.

Specifically, I'd like to install the uasyncio lib to play with on my STM32 dev board (NUCLEO). I've build micropython and have that working, but would now like to install the uasyncio lib and build that in (frozen, i think is the right term so that it is more efficient).

I belive it has something to do with specifying FROZEN_MPY_DIR= , but what do i point this to? How and where do I specify which libs I want frozen into the micropython firmware? I am lost on how to do this as most of the methods refer to using upip to install which I cannot do on the MCU. Can someone help me out or point me to the right resource?

jimmo

Re: Building libs for MCUs

Post by jimmo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 am

Hi,

Depending on how much flash you have, you can just copy the Python files to the device filesystem (in the same way you would copy main.py, etc).

However, you're right, freezing is a much more efficient way to put library code onto the device, especially if you're already set up to compile the firmware.

Have a look at ports/stm32/boards/manifest.py -- is used by the build to specify which Python files are frozen into the build. And have a look at stm32/boards/PYBD_SF2/manifest.py to see how a board definition can extend the base manifest. (See stm32/boards/PYBD_SF2/mpconfigboard.mk which sets the FROZEN_MANIFEST variable). You could do this for your Nucleo board's config.

You can also set FROZEN_MANIFEST on the make command line if you want to just use an abritrary manifest.py anywhere on your filesystem.

To see how to add uasyncio to manifest.py, look at ports/esp8266/manifest_release.py (note the way the destination paths work).

Because you asked -- FROZEN_MPY_DIR is the old way to do this where there was just a directory of Python files that would be frozen. It still works, but the manifest is easier to maintain.

ttmetro

Post by ttmetro » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 am

jimmo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 am
You can also set FROZEN_MANIFEST on the make command line if you want to just use an abritrary manifest.py anywhere on your filesystem.
I'm building the ESP32 port and would like to use manifest_release.py. How can I accomplish this, preferably without modifying the board description?

I tried all sorts of creative path' for FROZEN_MANIFEST, but always get errors. E.g.

Code: Select all

make BOARD=GENERIC_OTA \
     FROZEN_MANIFEST=../../../boards/manifest_release.py \
     PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0 deploy
results in the following error:

Code: Select all

freeze error executing "../../../boards/manifest_release.py": freeze path must be a directory: /home/iot/iot49.org/mp/micropython-lib/python-ecosys/urequests
Bernhard Boser

ttmetro

Post by ttmetro » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Answering my own question: all I had to do was clone micropython-lib ...
(how embarassing)
Bernhard Boser