[NUCLEO-F429ZI] Scripts cease to run after 15 minutes

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
SD_Broseph

[NUCLEO-F429ZI] Scripts cease to run after 15 minutes

Post by SD_Broseph » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi,

Just got Micropython running on the NUCLEO-F429ZI. I modified the http_server.py example and was able to access the board over my LAN. However, after about 15 minutes it becomes completely unresponsive and I have to reboot. I started stripping stuff out to try to narrow down the problem, but ended up stripping everything out and still seeing it die after a few minutes. I just left the while loop, incremented a counter and printed it to the console and still the software hangs.

I then went and tried a couple more scripts, one was the switch.py example and another was a script I wrote to flash LEDs. Both of those also die after about 15 minutes and require a reboot.

Is this normal? Is the NUCLEO-F429ZI port just unstable at this point? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

SD_Broseph

Re: [NUCLEO-F429ZI] Scripts cease to run after 15 minutes

Post by SD_Broseph » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:14 am

Hi,

I have an update on this issue. After posting I realized I had an NRF51 PCA10028 board in my possession. I loaded the Micropython port onto this board and ran a simple LED flashing script and it ran for over 30 minutes which was longer than I could get anything to run for on the NUCLEO-F429ZI board.

CODE RUN ON PCA10028 BOARD:
import board
import time

def flash():
led1 = board.LED(1)

while 1:
led1.on()
time.sleep_ms(1000)
led1.off()
time.sleep_ms(1000)

CODE RUN ON NUCLEO-F429ZI BOARD:
import pyb
import time

def flash():
led1 = pyb.LED(1)

while 1:
led1.on()
time.sleep_ms(1000)
led1.off()
time.sleep_ms(1000)

NUCLEO-F429ZI board quits on this code after about 10 minutes as usual. What seems obvious is that the port to this NUCLEO board is not stable.

To make a more direct request, is there anyone out there with a NUCLEO-F429ZI board on hand that could confirm they see the same issue/behavior? This would at least rule out a hardware defect since no one seems to be reporting issues with this board.

Thanks,
Scott