PyPi and upip

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
patrickw

PyPi and upip

Post by patrickw » Fri May 15, 2020 8:24 pm

As a n00b but a decently technical n00b, I really got caught up with pip and upip.

I think one of the main issues is that when you look on PyPi for packages, the site says you can `pip install` the package, which I now know is not true. ;-)

Has anyone discussed with PyPi about allowing for the how to install in the top banner to say upip instead of pip ?

Another option would be to add a big "THIS IS MICROPYTHON USE UPIP." to the top of all the package descriptions, but that seems less elegant.

Thanks,
-p

patrickw

Re: PyPi and upip

Post by patrickw » Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 pm

Specifically this would be for any packages which match the filter : Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: MicroPython

https://pypi.org/search/?c=Programming+ ... &q=&page=2

aivarannamaa

Post by aivarannamaa » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 am

It would be also nice if pip was enhanced to support micropython packages. Then you could use simple `pip download` for preparing a lib directory for non-networked devices, instead of requiring a copy of Unix micropython.
Aivar Annamaa
https://thonny.org

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

aivarannamaa wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 am
It would be also nice if pip was enhanced to support micropython packages. Then you could use simple `pip download` for preparing a lib directory for non-networked devices, instead of requiring a copy of Unix micropython.
There is an alternative micropip which runs on CPython and downloads to your PC. It has been tested on Linux, Windows and OSX.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

aivarannamaa

Post by aivarannamaa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks, Peter! I already found micropip and it looks like a good solution!
Aivar Annamaa
https://thonny.org

pythoncoder

Please note!

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 am

Be aware that upip (and micropip) have a special feature: they access a specific MicroPython repository controlled by the maintainers. If a package is found there, it is loaded in preference to the one on PyPi. This is done to ensure compatibility: some (purportedly standard) library modules on PyPi require special forks of MicroPython.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.