GT832E_01 (NRF52832): unplug/plug FTDI adapter to get prompt, why?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
djipey

GT832E_01 (NRF52832): unplug/plug FTDI adapter to get prompt, why?

Post by djipey » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 pm

Hello,
I finally managed to flash a GT832E_01 board. For the original post describing the board and what I tried, see here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8924. I'll add the final procedure there if someone is interested.

However, now that the board is flashed (and works, I'll come back to that), I get a weird issue:

when I connect the tr/rx pins to my FTDI adapter, and monitor the serial connection output on my computer, I get nothing at first. But when I hot unplug/plug the FTDI adapter into the breadboard, I finally get a prompt! The FTDI adapter needs to stay connected to my computer. The board stays connected to the breadboard. Unpluging/pluging the FTDI adapter into the breadboard magically gets me a prompt.

Everything works as expected after that: I can import the ubluepy module and do a bluetooth scan.

Do you have any idea what's happening with the prompt at first? It looks like I'm maybe missing a connection with the board. So far I have:

Tx -> Rx of FTDI adapter
Rx -> Tx of FTDI adapter
Vcc -> 3.3 V
GND -> GND

Any help is appreciated.

You can also see the details of my attempts here: https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/6379