Best OS to support development with MicroPython and Pyboard..

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Primesty

Re: Best OS to support development with MicroPython and Pyboard..

Post by Primesty » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys!

@dhylands
Hmm. I'm currently using Mac OS Catalina and not having any issues.
. It seems when I update Catalina, it removes or damages the SilabsUSBDriver for UART, which I then have to reinstall. Furthermore, I've been getting reflush-tree errors on uPyCraft, which ultimately led me to decide to go the Linux route.

I assume rshell works with most boards, including ESP32/ESP8266? I'd definitely be interested in checking that out in addition to Thonny/uPyCraft - @dhylands @pythoncoder ?

Does Mint v20 also come with Python 3.8.2?

Once I have Linux up and running, do I still need to install UART drivers for ESP32/8266?

@rcolistete I'll definitely check out Manjaro/Arch as well.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Primesty wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Once I have Linux up and running, do I still need to install UART drivers for ESP32/8266?
No need to install USB serial drivers on Linux. Just needed is user permission to access '/dev/ttyACM0', '/dev/ttyUSB0', etc :
- on Debian :

Code: Select all

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
- on Manjaro/Arch :

Code: Select all

$ sudo gpasswd -a $USER uucp
$ sudo gpasswd -a $USER lock
$ sudo gpasswd -a $USER tty
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Primesty wrote:
I assume rshell works with most boards, including ESP32/ESP8266? I'd definitely be interested in checking that out in addition to Thonny/uPyCraft - @dhylands @pythoncoder ?
Depending of the firmware installed on ESP8266/ESP32/etc, it can be or not compatible with rshell, mpfshell, ampy, etc.

So I recommend to have different tools to cope with many boards and MicroPython firmwares idiosyncrasies. On Linux : screen, rshell, mpfshell, ampy, uflash, microfs, kflash, Thonny, Mu Editor, Atom/PyCharm/Sublime Text 3/VSCode with MicroPython plugins, etc.
Last edited by rcolistete on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Primesty wrote:
@dhylands
Hmm. I'm currently using Mac OS Catalina and not having any issues.
. It seems when I update Catalina, it removes or damages the SilabsUSBDriver for UART, which I then have to reinstall. Furthermore, I've been getting reflush-tree errors on uPyCraft, which ultimately led me to decide to go the Linux route.
Ahh - yes I work mostly with the pyboard (and other STM32 processors) and haven't used the ESP series very much.
I assume rshell works with most boards, including ESP32/ESP8266? I'd definitely be interested in checking that out in addition to Thonny/uPyCraft
Yep - it works with pretty much any board which can get a raw REPL.

Primesty

Post by Primesty » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 am

Awesome! Thanks for all the help! I’ll get to it and see how it goes. Not having to install drivers will certainly help!

Primesty

Post by Primesty » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Happy to report that I was able to install Ubuntu 18.04 successfully on my Chromebook with crouton, so it can run in parallel on a shared filesystem - so far it works like a charm and connects without a hitch to ESP32/8266 via Thonny, and Putty - have yet to try rshell. Ubuntu 20.04 wouldn't install via crouton for whatever reason.

IHOXOHI

Post by IHOXOHI » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:04 am

Yop,

I tried differents linux distributions (debian, ubuntu, arch, ...). For me, the best one is raspbian. Like rcolistete said, this os could contain goods softwares for an easy use of micropython on alls boards. Futhermore, this kind of "computer on 32 bytes system (not 64 like most others)" is more closed with micropython behaviour (perfect for python language use). Consumption is very low (0.04 A alone).

For me, the software rshell, which could be installed on a rasp distribution is the best one. For exemple, it permit to manage folders on esp32 with just a simple command.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Primesty wrote:

Does Mint v20 also come with Python 3.8.2?
I use rshell with ESP8266, ESP32, Pyboard 1.x and Pyboard D under various flavours of Linux. Mint 20 does come with Python 3.8.2.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.