Intermediate tutorials for pyboard

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Volvodriver

Intermediate tutorials for pyboard

Post by Volvodriver » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:10 am

I've been programming with Python for a few years now but new to Pyboard.

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial that might take up where the micropython documentation leaves off. It's great at taking you through the very basics but then where to from there?

My current issue is regarding hooking up peripherals. I've got a project that I'm looking at using several inputs being a few buttons, GPS module, internal accellerometer, peizo speaker and lcd screen. I've been able to work out all of them except for the LCD screen.

What I'd like to learn is how to look at the schematics for the board, plus the schematics for the screen and know where to plug everything in without requiring to find a tutorial for that specific model of the hardware because on this occasion, there doesn't seem to be one. I've found a tutorial on getting the screen working for an ESP32 but still can't work out how to convert that to what is required for the pyboard v1.1. https://www.hackster.io/ocnarf/cheap-1- ... p32-ebe208

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

davef

Re: Intermediate tutorials for pyboard

Post by davef » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I haven't downloaded that library but I suspect it is written in C as there is a corresponding .h file. Keep looking for a LCD project written in Micropython, unless you want to port that library. There has been discussion on connecting LCDs on the forum.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 am

Writing or porting display drivers is not the ideal project if you're new to this kind of thing.

The best approach is to look for MicroPython display drivers which already exist and choose your display hardware accordingly. If you want a touch display, consider the official display which plugs into the Pyboard, and has an officially supported driver. It is extremely easy to use, and a nice display. There is also my unofficial GUI for this display.

You will find a list of other displays supported by my drivers and GUI's here.

A forum search or a look at the Wiki will take you to the work of others: there is a substantial number of supported displays.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Volvodriver

Post by Volvodriver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am

Thankyou.

I take it from the replies that it involves getting down into the C code level to be able to get some of these displays to work, I'll slowly work on that on the side and get another screen in the meantime.

End result was always going to be a larger displays but grabbed this one to make testing on the move a bit easier so I'll just skip to the larger display.

Cheers,

Paul

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 am

No. This display is based on a st7735 controller. If you search in this forum or in the internet for ST7735 or "ST7735 python", you find quite a few drivers. If is not already made for this MicroPython dialect, all you should have to do is to change the way I2C is used. Adafruit drivers are usually easy to adapt.