git-flow extension for developers

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
ihornehrutsa

Re: git-flow extension for developers

Post by ihornehrutsa » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:18 am

MicroPython vs Pycopy.
Same founders, developers, same code in the main.
Are any advantages of this separation???

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 am

None that I know of - the pycopy fork arose from historical reasons. I'd stick with the official (MicroPython) version unless you have a specific reason for doing otherwise, if only because it is supported by a larger team.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

stijn

Post by stijn » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am

This pull request https://github.com/micropython/micropython/pull/6276 does not seem as High-Frequency Integration.
I still think you're confusing clock time with integration frequency, and discarding the review process. And if I understand it correctly, high-freqency integration does not mean integrating features which don't work and/or don't pass code review. I.e. from a quick look that PR started as something which didn't work correctly, last reply is a couple of days ago and still mentions a fix. Do you mean it should have been merged earlier, without that fix, which assumingly means it didn't work correctly?
ESP32 has such a problem
In what way is that a practical problem? I don't use it so I have no clue, but is there functionality lacking?
And on the topic of integration: I don't see any PR for getting 4.2 support, so there is nothing to integrate.

tldr; yes there's a review queue and yes there's a TODO list, but I doubt that's what Fowler means with true low-frequency integration. There's a whole range between low-frequency and high-frequency and I think MicroPython is in between.

ihornehrutsa

Post by ihornehrutsa » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:45 am

I think long PR approve/reject time directly leads to Low-Frequency Integration.

stijn

Post by stijn » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 am

That's just the rather unnuanced version of what I am saying :D

ihornehrutsa

Post by ihornehrutsa » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:56 am

Well. How to decrease the PR queue and time of code review?

stijn

Post by stijn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:25 am

Someone who knows MicroPython and pretty much all platforms it runs on very well, has experience reviewing etc, could step up and become a maintainer. But that's not very likely to happen.
PR authors and contributers can help with this as well though: a good PR which adheres to all rules (code, style, commit message format) is much more likely to get merged fast. And reviewing others PRs can help as well: just something as simple as spotting typos means less reviewing time for maintainers.

ihornehrutsa

Post by ihornehrutsa » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 pm

to stijn:
The critical bug is fixed in the pull request https://github.com/micropython/micropython/pull/6276 yesterday.
Is any restriction to approve?

It seems that PR #6276 is satisfied with the requirements from your last post.

stijn

Post by stijn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:48 pm

I don't have time to figure out if the logic is ok, but at first sight there are some typos (e.g. '// Check if an already running with the same freq is running') and incorrect grammar ('// Have to found a new timer') and the commit messages should start with a captical after the ':' etc

ihornehrutsa

Post by ihornehrutsa » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks, stijn.