docs as pdf are missing

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
hcet14

docs as pdf are missing

Post by hcet14 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 am

Hello I'm new with Micropython,
since I want to read about, I found out the pdf is missing. http://docs.micropython.org/en/v1.13/mi ... n-docs.pdf and http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/m ... n-docs.pdf are empty.

pythoncoder

Re: docs as pdf are missing

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 am

I don't think these are routinely built. You can build a local copy of the docs, in HTML or PDF form, by following these instructions.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

hcet14

Post by hcet14 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks for your answer, but I'm a complete linux beginner and have no clue about latex :(

After solving some problems, I get this
  • Makefile:
    latexpdf: cpydiff
    $(SPHINXBUILD) $(FORCE) -b latex $(ALLSPHINXOPTS) $(BUILDDIR)/latex
    @echo "Running LaTeX files through pdflatex..."
    $(MAKE) -C $(BUILDDIR)/latex all-pdf
    @echo "pdflatex finished; the PDF files are in $(BUILDDIR)/latex."
...but no pdf.

Line 128 in Makefile: $(SPHINXBUILD) $(FORCE) -b latex $(ALLSPHINXOPTS) $(BUILDDIR)/latex

Any idea?
I'm a beginner with this stuff and no programmer at all.

scruss

Post by scruss » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm

I don't think this route is particularly well tested, as PDF docs via LaTeX are a completely separate and complex workflow.

At the very least, latexmk is required to get the make process to even begin. This isn't in the docs/README.md

I get a completely different kind of error in the build process where pdflatex is failing to handle UTF-8 characters, starting with the line:

Code: Select all

When buffering is enabled the DAC pin can drive loads down to 5KΩ.
This is odd, as sphinx is putting \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} in the document. xelatex builds the document (with lots of warnings) but doesn't render the Ωs. I end up with a 350+ page PDF with some ropey paragraph layouts.

I used to be a TeX guy, but that was a very long time ago.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:47 am

@hcet14 Out of interest why do you want this? You could build a local HTML image which provides all the docs during an internet outage. That build process always seems to run smoothly.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

hcet14

Post by hcet14 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 am

@scruss I tried your suggestion with latexmk, no difference. Thanks anyway.
I also tried pdftex MicroPython.tex since I get a tex file. But also no output file.

@pythoncoder I prefer pdfs for reading. make html runs smooth here without errors. As I stated above, I'm a complete linux beginner and have no clue about latex. Maybe I can learn something ;)
I'm a beginner with this stuff and no programmer at all.

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 am

I suspect this will be harder than it looks. Every tool I know about (Calibre, weasyprint, wkhtmltopdf, pandoc) failed to make a PDF from the source HTML. The document sources need to be fixed by the authors so that "make pdf" will work.

"make epub" works if you want a static, pageable document file.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 pm

The core team are aware of the failures but haven't been able to resolve the issue (something to do with missing font characters?). If anyone can help out a PR would be very welcome!

scruss

Post by scruss » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 am

I think I've worked it out … please see PR #6779 Enable PDF doc generation

It requires an absolutely gargantuan TeX Live¹ download to get the correct fonts. For those who just want to see the current manual, here's a link to download one I just generated: MicroPython.pdf.

---
¹: I knew the late Sebastian Rahtz, the founder of the TeX Live project, when I was a UK TeX User Group board member. The first version fit a full TeX distribution for Windows, Mac OS and most Unix/Linux systems on a single CD-ROM, and it's fair to say that TeX Live has kept the system alive and useful. To build the MicroPython manual I had to download more than a CD-ROM full of just fonts for TeX Live. I'm not sure if Seb would be amused or horrified …