No bluetooth module

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
kendrikwah

No bluetooth module

Post by kendrikwah » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi! I am new to MicroPython (my pyboard order got messed up and thus got delayed, so I'm looking to using other microcontrollers in the meantime) and after following the instructions shown in https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... orts/stm32, I realized that there is no bluetooth module. While I have a feeling that the steps had been done correctly (I mean, I can use Python in the microcontroller, so I figure something was done right), is this intended, and how can I upload blueooth and extmods into the micropython binary/ hex files? I am currently using a B-L475E-IOT01A1 by STMicroelectronics!

EDIT: Currently, I am looking to change Makefile, but I am unsure if there is a better way, like flags (I mean, reading Makefile did suggest there were flags, but I am a little unsure as to how to call them too!).

Thank you very much!

mattyt

Re: No bluetooth module

Post by mattyt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:39 am

I believe that Bluetooth is not enabled on that board yet. It uses an external Bluetooth chip (the SPBTLE-RF) and, to allow this to work, an HCI interface would need to be implemented for that chip.

kendrikwah

Post by kendrikwah » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am

Hey matt, thank you for replying!

In other words, if I wish to use BLE for the B-L475-IOT01A, I will need to revert back to C/C++?

In the case of the P-NUCLEO-WB55, I believe there is BLE that can be used in MicroPython?

Thank you!

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:51 pm

kendrikwah wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am
In other words, if I wish to use BLE for the B-L475-IOT01A, I will need to revert back to C/C++?
Yes. Or, alternatively, write just enough C to provide the appropriate implementation to allow the MicroPython bluetooth interface to function...
kendrikwah wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am
In the case of the P-NUCLEO-WB55, I believe there is BLE that can be used in MicroPython?
Yes, the WB55 has great support for bluetooth.

pagano.paganino

Post by pagano.paganino » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:12 pm

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 am

kendrikwah wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:11 pm
EDIT: Currently, I am looking to change Makefile,
See my reply on your other thread. I'm not sure this will work "out of the box" but roughly this is the first step. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9478