Onkyo-EISCP library

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
cbrand

Onkyo-EISCP library

Post by cbrand » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm

For a project I did to automize a fairly complex TV boxes setup, I required implementing the EISCP protocol rather than doing the IR.

To make it available to everyone, I decided to carve out that specific component and published it on GitHub and PyPi:
The project is heavily copied from the python library onkyo-eiscp. Outside of the library being adapted and stripped down for MicroPython, it also utilized uasyncio for running the network communication on the microcontroller. It has been tested on an ESP32 with this project.

I hope it is useful to anybody else, looking to automate their set top boxes.

pythoncoder

Re: Onkyo-EISCP library

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 am

Your project link is a 404 here.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

cbrand

Post by cbrand » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:49 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 am
Your project link is a 404 here.
My bad, thanks for pointing it out. I forgot to publish the project.

Also added a README to the project and some additional information.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:15 am

Impressive project!

Interesting that you had trouble with mqtt_as running TLS. As I think I wrote in the docs, the only platform which supported it reliably in testing was the Pyboard D. Hopefully ESP32 TLS implementation will improve.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

cbrand

Post by cbrand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 pm

pythoncoder wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:15 am
Impressive project!
Thanks!
pythoncoder wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:15 am
Interesting that you had trouble with mqtt_as running TLS. As I think I wrote in the docs, the only platform which supported it reliably in testing was the Pyboard D. Hopefully ESP32 TLS implementation will improve.
Yeah the ESP32 TLS implementation is a bit wonky. I got it to work for another project once with client side certificates but also no CA validation. It sadly isn't in a state yet where I would recommend it on the ESP32 for anything which requires "real" security guarantees. For this it doesn't seem to be mature enough yet, but hopefully will be soon. One of the main hurdles for MicroPython on the ESP32 in my opinion. At least for anything which talks to the internet.

EDIT: After posting this, I also realized that I used the Loboris MicroPython flavor for the client side certificates to work. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be tendered to any more and I required the RMT component on newer micropython versions for this project.