uPyCraft constant re-burn firmware required?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
steve1428

uPyCraft constant re-burn firmware required?

Post by steve1428 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:43 am

Hi,
Anyone know why I have to constantly re-burn the micropythyon firmware onto my ESP32s ? Is this normal every time you disconnect to have to regularly "re-burn"?

I have the right USB drivers installed and it all works fine once I've got it running.

pythoncoder

Re: uPyCraft constant re-burn firmware required?

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:09 am

No. Definitely not normal. Apart from checking your hardware and using a short USB lead (many ESP problems are down to voltage drops), I'm not sure what to suggest. I've never used uPyCraft: perhaps other users will respond.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

davef

Post by davef » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:15 am

How you are powering it and what you have hooked up to any of the GPIO?

steve1428

Post by steve1428 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:15 pm

I am powering it via the microUSB connected to a good quality powered USB hub.

Maybe I should try powering it using my power supply and the pins first, then connect the USB for programming and see it that makes a difference.

This problem happens even with nothing connected and just trying the basic blink program using the onboard LED.

Maybe there is an order you have to plug it in or power it up with?

If I power it by the pins at 5 volts without connecting the microUSB it seems to remember the basic blink code I loaded on it, but then when I plug in the USB and try to connect with uPyCraft the led stops blinking and it wants to "re-burn" the firmware.

If I unplug the microUSB (while leaving it powered by the pins) it goes back to blinking the LED so it can't have lost the firware or the blink code.
if I close uPyCraft but leave the microUSB connected then the led blink starts again.

This must be an issue with uPyCraft
I've got the correct USB drivers installed I think cause it works fine once you get it running.

what are people using for an editor other than uPyCraft?

davef

Post by davef » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Post a link to the board schematic. What I do know is that some dev boards have a "cross-coupled" pair of transistors that put the board in a specific mode when powered from the USB. Also, I see caution statements on some schematics not to use the USB and power from from an external 5V at the same time. Never saw an explanation.

Good luck!

steve1428

Post by steve1428 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm

I took a few minutes and got setup with Thonny, it's stable, I can connect and disconnect without having to reload firmware no prob

I dunno, maybe I wasn't doing things right in uPyCraft, have to investigate later, it's a nice IDE.