External power

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Speedbrid620

External power

Post by Speedbrid620 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:33 pm

I´m currently working on a project where I connect a PyBoard to a GPS-device (FLARM Red Box) which has a 3 volt power output. As I want to simplify I came up with the idea to feed the PyBoard from the GPS. When consulting the manuals I could not find anything that said this was a bad idea.

Upon trying it resulted in a strange behavior: the PyBoard is executing my Python script and works fine, except it has stopped responding to my PC. Even when disconnecting it from the external power source it simply will not communicate with one of my three the PC´s.

After fiddling around quite a while I discovered that it sometimes can be detected by my PC´s if I put in a SD card and made a factory reset. But the behavior is stochastic since it doesn't work all of the times. And yes, I have tried a number different cables and different PC´s with different versions of windows.

Does anyone recognize this behavior? Has anyone tried to feed a PyBoard with external 3 volt?

pythoncoder

Re: External power

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:10 am

Do you have a Pyboard 1.x or a Pyboard D? Which Pyboard pin did you use for the 3V input?

In my experience the Pyboard 1.1 works fine with 3V applied to Vin. The 3.3V pin is an output and a voltage should not be applied to that pin.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Speedbrid620

Post by Speedbrid620 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:42 am

I see. I have the PyBoard 1.0 Lite and I used was 3v3 as input.

I´ll have try at feeding it with 3 volt on the Vin.

Brb.

Speedbrid620

Post by Speedbrid620 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:46 pm

It worked fine. Thanks for the input.