Issue with Nucleo L476 board and access to internal flash memory

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
Marco

Issue with Nucleo L476 board and access to internal flash memory

Post by Marco » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Hello,
I have a Nucleo L476 board with the latest version of Micropython loaded, ST-Link has the latest firmware.
REPL is ok and I can interact with the board, but the file explorer from PC does not see the content from flash memory,
but 2 files: MBED.HTM and DETAILS.TXT. So no boot.py and no main.py.
When I load a file from the PC on it, it is gone the next time I connect it and there is always only the MBED and DETAILS file.
When I call uos.getcwd() in Micropython I get '/flash' and uos.listdir() returns 'boot.py', 'main.py' and 'pybcdc.inf' (but no MBED and DETAILS).
The command pyb.usb_mode() returns me 'VCP+MSC'.
So the PC doesn't see the flash memory from the board, but another drive that is 3 Mb and has something to do with MBED,
and vice versa the board does not see the contents of the drive that the PC sees.
What can I do to make the PC see the flash memory from the board?
Thanks for your help
Marco

ErranS

Re: Issue with Nucleo L476 board and access to internal flash memory

Post by ErranS » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Hello Marco,

The two files that you see, MBDT.HTM and DETAILS.txt are on the ST-LINK portion of the board.

I believe that in order to see internal flash memory on the L476 you will have to connect a USB cable to PA11 / PA12.

Also, check that the L476 device is USB-OTG capable. If it is not, then you will not be able to get to where boot.py and main.py are located.

~E

Marco

Post by Marco » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Hello EransS,
I have now connected RX and TX to PA11 and PA12 with a USB-serial dongle but the board does not respond.
Did you mean I should connect the USB lines directly to the board?

Thanks
Marco

Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:25 am

Dear EransS,

you were right twice!
The files 'MBED.HTM' and 'DETAILS.TXT' are indeed the contents of the ST-Link.
I have connected the USB directly to PA11/PA12 and I get the content from the L476RG!

Thanks for your kind help and greetings from Italy
Marco

ErranS wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm
Hello Marco,

The two files that you see, MBDT.HTM and DETAILS.txt are on the ST-LINK portion of the board.

I believe that in order to see internal flash memory on the L476 you will have to connect a USB cable to PA11 / PA12.

Also, check that the L476 device is USB-OTG capable. If it is not, then you will not be able to get to where boot.py and main.py are located.

~E