MicroPython on ESP8266 Kickstarter

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
platforma

Re: MicroPython on ESP8266 Kickstarter

Post by platforma » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:53 am

kfricke wrote:
Paul on the KS comments wrote:... MQTT is still novel protocol. ...
MQTT was "invented" in 1999 and is in OASIS standardization since 2013.
29th of October 2014 for version 3.1.1. It is a very young protocol.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

platforma wrote:... 29th of October 2014 for version 3.1.1. It is a very young protocol.
I do not get the point.

platforma

Post by platforma » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:20 pm

kfricke wrote:I do not get the point.
I'm sorry, the point of what?

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:39 pm

kfricke wrote:Is the ESP8266 port really going to fully implement floating point arithmetic?
Yes, we plan for the esp8266 port to implement (software) floating point. It currently works and I see no reason to disable this very useful feature.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Cool! I did assume to have read between the lines, that the RAM restriction might cut this feature!

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm

platforma wrote:
kfricke wrote:I do not get the point.
I'm sorry, the point of what?
I miss the conclusion from that version 3.1.1 published in 2014 does mean "young".

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:28 pm

pfalcon wrote:...
That makes it very, very young protocol. Compare that to establishment dates for protocols mentioned in the update you quote - SMTP, HTTP, etc. And again, what percentage of Internet hosts run MQTT, comparing to the protocols above.
Besides the real history behind MQTT and it's lately started standardization process one should not compare the simple MQTT protocoll with something like SMTP (in all of it's variants and all extensions) or SSH (with subsystems like Login/Shell, SFTP, SCP, tunneling, SOCKS proxying, SCTP encapsulation etc.)!

Anyway i am very satisfied with your choice to (hopefully) implement MQTT along your roadmap. What i like most is the fact that you want to implement it as a C-module. As the both of you do tackle this we can be sure that this is going to become portable across all MicroPython platforms, which really is fantastic!
I do have a few MQTT clients running on my Linux boxes which could easily port over to Unix MicroPython.

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:59 pm

kfricke wrote:What i like most is the fact that you want to implement it as a C-module.
Don't want to spoil fun, but I personally don't want to implement it in C. We discussed with Damien that his reply in KS was perhaps a bit premature. What approach we want to follow is to write as many things in Python as possible, and avoid premature optimization (such as rewriting in C) unless really proven as needed. Then if it's needed, we're ready to do it, but then optimization may make it ESP8266-specific (or at least not readily suitable for any other port).

To be fair, I should also mention that above I shared my idea of possibility to give Followers and Drivers extra votes for modules. I'd like again to mention that it was my personal idea as a team member, not an official decision yet. And Damien drew my attention to the fact that we didn't give such extra votes in reward descriptions, so providing them now looks like changing the campaign rules. So, please don't take availability of extra module votes as a deciding factor whether you want to be Follower/Driver or not ;-) (We still deciding whether that makes thanks. And it doesn't understate anything else I've written there - Followers/Drivers will get enough benefits and will be the closest folks to the development).

So, I'm writing all this to show that we have quite a detailed discussions, if not say disputes, on the various aspects of the campaign - of course, with the aim to consider different sides and find the best compromise. And this campaign was conceived to be the community from the start - that's why we share even internal aspects of it, and appreciate feedback. I hope you appreciate this openness too (It's like even us, the maintainers, submit code changes for review on github - to make sure everyone can participate in deciding where MicroPython goes).
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:41 am

I did just rise my pledge to the next tier. Let's take the 18k goal!

mad474

Post by mad474 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 am

kfricke wrote:I did just rise my pledge to the next tier. Let's take the 18k goal!
You made it! 8-)