GPS Antennas interchangeability

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
T-Wilko

GPS Antennas interchangeability

Post by T-Wilko » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 am

I have this board:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32875743018.html

that has the small rectangular cream-coloured ceramic patch antenna seen in the listing pics.

My question is: Can I change the antenna for another 'full-sized' square ceramic patch antenna, given I have one lying around that has a more convenient length of wire attached and the same uFL connector?

Any input would be very much appreciated,
Thomas

pythoncoder

Re: GPS Antennas interchangeability

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:34 am

I would expect that to work. I can't see any harm in trying it.
Peter Hinch

chrismas9

Post by chrismas9 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm

You should be able to swap antennae. They are all 50 ohm and same frequency. I have used quite a few different types. If you want to compare antennae find an app that displays all satellites in view and run both antennae at the same time using two modules. Look at the number of satellites found and the signal strength of the weakest ones. Swap the antennae and repeat to rule out differences between modules. If you don't have two modules test sequentially but remember the satellites keep moving and their signal strength keeps moving over time.

Done ceramic patch antennae are active - the have a low noise preamplifier. They will have a metal shielding can on the back and will perform better.

Don't let the antenna touch the lid of a plastic box. Leave a few millimetre air gap. The dielectric of the plastic will detune the antenna if too close.

T-Wilko

Post by T-Wilko » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 am

chrismas9 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm
They are all 50 ohm and same frequency.
I suppose that's the largely deciding factor.
I'll give it a go once I've got the code working, and I'll post back the relative performance of the two like you've mentioned chrismas9