Wio Terminal with ATSAMD51 + Realtek RTL8720DN + 2.4 screen + etc

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
rcolistete

Wio Terminal with ATSAMD51 + Realtek RTL8720DN + 2.4 screen + etc

Post by rcolistete » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Wio Terminal: ATSAMD51 Core with Realtek RTL8720DN BLE 5.0 & Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G Dev Board, US$29.90 in pre-order for April 15, 2020 :
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Wio-Terminal-p-4509.html
Compatible with Arduino and MicroPython, Wio Terminal is an ATSAMD51-based microcontroller with wireless connectivity supported by Realtek RTL8720DN. Its CPU speed runs at 120MHz (Boost up to 200MHz). Realtek RTL8720DN chip supports both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi providing the backbone for IoT projects. The Wio Terminal itself is equipped with a 2.4” LCD Screen, onboard IMU(LIS3DHTR), Microphone, Buzzer, microSD card slot, Light sensor, and Infrared Emitter(IR 940nm).
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

scruss

Re: Wio Terminal with ATSAMD51 + Realtek RTL8720DN + 2.4 screen + etc

Post by scruss » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Seeed Studio just sent me one of these to review. Haven't dug in great detail, but the demos work and flashing a firmware via UF2 is simple. Haven't got wifi or more clever peripherals working, but the screen is pretty sharp.

It's much smaller than I expected. The 40 pin header is almost the full width of the unit. It's rather nicely made, too. Not sure about the Grove connectors, especially since I learned there are two kinds and I got the wrong ones. Nothing that a second with a pair of snips won't fix, but still …