ESP8266 does not connect to MQTT server anymore, ESP32 does, since new WiFi cablemodem is installed

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
tve

Re: ESP8266 does not connect to MQTT server anymore, ESP32 does, since new WiFi cablemodem is installed

Post by tve » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:32 am

Sorry, but I haven't used the esp8266 with MP other than to try "hello world" and to see that it has too little memory to be fun...
Did you do an erase_flash at some point and reprogram from scratch (sorry if I already asked)? esptool.py also has a read_mac command, dunno whether that works for esp8266.
Otherwise set up a build env and see what gets pulled in...

this_andre

Re: ESP8266 does not connect to MQTT server anymore, ESP32 does, since new WiFi cablemodem is installed

Post by this_andre » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 am

I have setup the build environment and built a new version and erased and reloaded already several times, also with different versions, including the 'official ones'. Same result. II can see the MAC address and this is OK.
Will look further for the software modules that are pulled in and keep you posted!

this_andre

Post by this_andre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm

How can I trace what's going wrong at socket level during socket.connect? Is there any possibility to trace the TCP/IP activity for ESP8266 outgoing messages?
I try to setup a mqtt connection and the 'connect' in simple.py fails due to 'ECONNABORTED'. The WiFi is connected (sta_if.isconnected returns TRUE) and sta_if.status returns 5. At the server side (Wireshark), I can see repeated ARP requests from the ESP8266, which are all responded OK.
Can it have something to do with the version of lwip on the ESP8266 since this problem does NOT exist at the ESP32??