How to contribute in code as a beginner

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
rafiqul713

How to contribute in code as a beginner

Post by rafiqul713 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Hello guys, would you please suggest me, how to start contribution in code. I am totally beginner in open source community. But I am determined to contribute . Please help me.

mattyt

Re: How to contribute in code as a beginner

Post by mattyt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:13 am

First of all, welcome! Anyone keen to contribute is is welcome here. :)

A few notes about getting started...

It can be a steep learning curve for a beginner; if you have C experience and are looking to work on the internals of MicroPython I would suggest looking over the source code perhaps while skimming Zoltán Vörös' usermod documentation.

Another alternative is to scour the list of PR's; there are quite a few in an almost done state. There just needs some additional work to be accepted into the mainline - it would be of huge benefit to the community to chip away at these.

Similarly, taking a look over the issues and see if anything jumps out. Maybe there's an issue that you've had experience dealing with in the past that you could apply your knowledge to quickly?

Documentation can always use improvement and it can be a good way to become familiar with the project. A starting point is to look at issues with the label docs.

But probably the best way to get started is to find something you really want to do with MicroPython and do it! Just through using the project you'll find areas that will need attention - and if you're implementing something you want anyway the motivation will remain high.

Hope that helps!

rafiqul713

Post by rafiqul713 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Many many thanks for your lucid explanation. It is very helpful, particularly usermod documentation. Would you please give some details about the list of PR. I did not understand it.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:57 am

You'll need to familiarise yourself with GitHub and git. To see the list of PR's (pull requests) go to the MicroPython GitHub page and click on Pull requests.

Learning the git version control system is not easy, but it's a) essential for contributors and b) very useful, including for managing your own projects.
Peter Hinch

rafiqul713

Post by rafiqul713 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 am

Would you please suggest me how can I solve this problem. Whenever I compile the module for Unix port I have faced an error "make: Nothing to be done for 'snippets/arbitrarykeyword/micropython.mk'" for all snippets. Here I have attached the screenshot.
Attachments
micropython.png
micropython.png (182.48 KiB) Viewed 71 times

rafiqul713

Post by rafiqul713 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 pm

I have solved this. Now I can compile properly. Would you tell me in which folder I put the python code to test the module.
For example, samply.py contain this code

import simplefunction
print(simplefunction.add_ints(123, 456))

Whenever I try to run python sample.py
Attachments
after_compilation.png
After Compilation of the module
after_compilation.png (209.56 KiB) Viewed 34 times
moduleNotFound.png
When I want to test the module I got this error
moduleNotFound.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 34 times