STM32, SDIO and LittleFS

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
formica

STM32, SDIO and LittleFS

Post by formica » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm thinking to switch from FAT to LittleFS, after experiencing that FAT significantly slows down after a while on my SDCard.
My application stores a file every 15.8 secs on SDcard, and after a while I guess that FAT32 fragmentation affect the storage velocity.

I would like to know if LittleFS can overcome the fragmentation issue and if is it possibile to use it on SDCard connected through SDIO to an STM32 microcontroller.

Regards

jimmo

Re: STM32, SDIO and LittleFS

Post by jimmo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 am

formica wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 pm
I would like to know if LittleFS can overcome the fragmentation issue and if is it possibile to use it on SDCard connected through SDIO to an STM32 microcontroller.
I do not have performance measurements to confirm this, but yes I would expect so.

Various STM32 boards supported by MicroPython have support for SDCard (over SDIO).

In all cases, the SDCard provides a block device, which can be mounted with either filesystem driver into the VFS. MicroPython works a lot like Unix in this regard.